Postman
(.375 member)
23/02/15 03:46 AM
Re: The .458 Lott

I've got a .458Lott. It's fun to shoot, feeds flawlessly, and is very versatile given the vast # of .458 bullets there are available. Is it a massive bump upward in power from a .458Win? Not dramatically so, but it may get you an extra 200 fps over the winnie and it does comfortably produce the illustrious and traditionally coveted 2150fps with a 500 grain bullet without too much stress and strain.

The rifle is a Weatherby DG Mark V complete with the tupperware (fibre?) greenish brown stock that they slather liberally in thin squirts of black paint they refer to as spider webbing. Ugly? Sure enough. Functional? Yup. But the Weatherby stock shape fits me very well and they do seem at least for me to make the felt recoil a little easier to live with.

Back to the Lott: Given my rifle was purpose built as a Lott on a platform that from the get go was intended for handling big nasty cartridges, all seems to gel nicely into a very functional package. I have yet to try going the other way and firing .458 Win ammo in it. I'm somewhat curious to see if it feeds well in the Lott dimensioned magazine.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com