Matt85
(.224 member)
30/01/15 10:46 PM
Re: how much weight for a rifle chambered in 585 HE

thanks for your responses all!

Ripp, thanks for the suggestion. I checked out GI and found 12 pounds was indeed the average (at least on GI) for the 577 NE 3".

xausa no offence intended but you might want to try a different stance or maybe lean into the rifle a little more. something is not right if the gun is actually forcing you backwards!

500Boswell, believe it or not, Ed Hubel is the gentleman building my rifle. I had a talk with him earlier today about weight and he agreed that 12 pounds was ideal for the cartridge. he has been great to talk to and has been more then willing to answer any questions or give advice.

I also agree with your thoughts on the 585 HE. its a very well thought out cartridge which solves a number of the issues associated with trying to make a .585" cartridge for a bolt action rifle. head spacing is handled by a belt instead of trying to make do with a tiny shoulder. instead of going with a seriously rebated rim to fit a smaller action he used a .505 Gibbs rim which will allow for much more reliable feeding.

-matt

Contact Us NitroExpress.com