Tom_Bigbore
(.224 member)
03/02/05 02:09 AM
Re: 600 NE

Hi msorenso,
CIP is the european standard for dimensioning cartridges incl. specs for max pressure and test procedures. Every single barrel of every gun is proof tested with 30% over the max. pressure given for a specific cartridge.
I donīt know what FFL is, but I know that the american pendant is SAAMI. As you live in the US, you donīt need CIP proofing.
The 577 NE fires a 750 grain bullet at ~2050 ft/s. It started as a Black Powder cartridge. With the availability of Nitro powder (in that times cordite) the cartridge shell has been beefed up and a extremly powerfull cartridge was the result.
The 600 NE fires a 900 grain bullet at about the same velocity, but was yet designed for Nitro powder.
The 600 JDJ is a propriatery cartridge of SSK. He uses the same 577 cartridge shell, straighten it and fires a 600 NE bullet.
The problem with the Ruger #1 is the action size.
The barrel needs to be strong enough to withstand the generated pressure. The chamber for such a big cartridge will not left much material around the area where the barrel is threaded into the action. (see my pics). You will need a barrel made out of the best steel available.
For me the 577 is really all I need and is one of the best stoppers in the world. I tell you my gun could be a bit heavier as it kicks like a mule. ;-)
I understand that you want the biggest caliber at a reasonable price, but it is IMHO a good advice to shoot some of the bigger cartridges before you start.
br Tom

Contact Us NitroExpress.com