zimhunter
(.333 member)
10/05/14 05:26 AM
Re: 475 A&M Mag - See My New BREVEX Rifle & Would Like More Info

I would swear I entered this information yesterday, but obviously not. A&M Rifle Co made barrels and did gunsmithing in Prescott, Az for many years. They parted and Bill Atkinson went on to head Rugers Prescott facility. They graduated right before me in ,I THINK, 1951 from TSJC. I bought my first barrels after school from them and for several years after. All the rifles I have seen that they built are of the finest quality displaying excellent workmanship and materials. I have one of their rifles at present that is very unusual. It's a 458 WinMag on a 1903-A3 action. It's only the second 458 I have ever seen on an 03 action. It has a very nice ,what appears to be birch, stock. Slim foreend with Schnabel. Steel grip cap with one screw, Buttplate is a Neidner checkered steel with widows peak. Nicely checkered with3 cross bolts - two in the normal position and one thru the pistol grip in the checkering. Crossbolts are covered with dark contrast plugs. Checkering is neat conventional pattern. Trigger is a Timney and safety is a Winchester 70 type. Rear sight is a Williams ramp style fully adjustable open sight,front is a long Lyman old style banded ramp with a long sourdough that has been filed down and brass insert reinstalled. Floor plate has a Large headed projecting part for removing rather than using a bullet tip. Scope mount is a well installed G&H with a Norman-Ford Texan that was I imagine a Lyman Alaskan originally (I received the rings with the rifle but no scope and they are 7/8"). The bolt handle has been neatly forged and bears the distinctive Les Womack stamp on the root. Front sling swivel is a barrel band with the band not going completely around the barrel and has been custom profiled. The thing that is totally unusual is that it has a 16"barrel that has every appearance of being the original length. Barrel is quite heavy with long full diameter area over chamber. I would have liked to use it in Africa as I really like short barrel guns my favorite 375 and 416 Rigby are both 21". Both Bill and Paul were significant persons in the gunsmithing world for many years and made substantial contributions to the industry.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com