grandveneur
(.400 member)
03/06/13 12:06 AM
Re: 404 magnum Schüler

No , for hunting i like the safe side ! I prefer my 500 Schüler and certainly my 11,2x72 Schüler .

If i can find a old one in this caliber i take it , but not sure that some such rifles was built .

I suppose that Mr. Ziegenhahn has a chamber reamer and a gauge because he had built a test rifle . Initially he hed only a old cartridge found in the ruins of the Schüler factory . After the measurement he was surprised that this cartridge is very similar with the big Weatherby cartridges like the 378, 416 and 460 . P1 basis diameter is 14,76mm for the 404 Schüler and 14,78mm for the big Weatherby cartridges . The only one 0,02mm difference was not appreciable . The belt and the normal rim were not a problem .

Mr. Ziegenhahn saw no market for this cartridge . That's my opinion too , we have enough good cartridges of this caliber . But it remains a open question , why the big Weatherby cartridges have this size , from a Rigby cartridge or from a prey object of the WWII ? The US Army ( Gen.Patton ) was in Suhl !

Contact Us NitroExpress.com