atkinson6
(.375 member)
29/12/04 10:33 AM
Re: Best bullet for .416 Rigby

The best bullets I have used on Buffalo in any 416 are the new Nosler, the Northforks and Woodleighs...

1. The new Nosler will penetrate and make an exit hole most of the time on a broadside shot and will penetrate a Buffalo lengthwise..I really like them.....

2. The Woodleigh will do exactly what its been doing for a hundred years, break both shoulders and come to rest on the off side skin...

3.The Northfork is the new kid on the block and it shines..the soft will stop on the off side perfectly mushroomed every damn time, even if it shatters the spine it will be a perfect mushroom..Not many bullets will do this.

The Northfork flat nose solid will penetrate and pass through 99.9% of the time from any angle and cut a clean hole due to the cutting shoulder and it will shave the hair around the entrance wound for an inch...

Last but sure not least is the prince of Buffalo bullets, the Northfork Cup point, its in a league of its own, it hammers the big bulls off their feet and lets out a ton of blood in a hurry, kills like a soft and penetrates like a solid, no need for any other bullet IMO..and it kills plainsgame like a soft...It expands just a bit, or forms a cone, depending on its stricking velocity..It works as well at low velocity as it does at high velocity..It simply works....

Take your pick...I use the Northfork soft and Woodleigh soft in the thick stuff of Zimbabwe for instance and in herd shooting...In Tanzania I use the solid and cup point and the Nosler...But in the future based on the 4 or 5 buffalo I shot with it this year, the cup point may replace the rest indefinatly...

Over the last number of years I have used the flat nose solids and the cup points a good deal, shot a heck of a lot of buffalo with them and I am convienced the cup point is route that I will take from now on and from any angle....

Contact Us NitroExpress.com