Rule303
(.450 member)
10/01/13 10:25 PM
Re: At last my 416 Rigby nears completion

Quote:

Thanks for all the comments, I am really looking forward to the completion of my rifle.

My biggest headache now is to decide what sighting system I must put on the rifle. Must I use expess sights or a peep sight? What scope must I use or will a red dot scope also work.

The rifle will be used mostly for close range hunting, not further than 50 meters.

I am wearing reading glasses, otherwise my eyes are very good, what influance will that have on a peep sight. I think I must scrap this one as it will only be a blur.

I will definately have detachable bases for the scope.

What do you think.

I can speak on this subject due to some experience. I too use reading glasses.

If using iron sight get a large flat bead or fibre optic front sight and go for the peep. With the open sights you have 3 focal planes, rear & front sigth and the target. With a peep -even with aged eyes- you still tend to naturaly centre your eye and front sight so in effect cuts out one sighting plane.

Red dot sights I would go for an Aimpoint - have one- as there is no parralax error and once sighted the dot can appear to be,say, in the top right of the scope but if it is on your point of aim then you are on. They are a robust scope as designed to handle 50cal BMG. The early ones were designed for 20mm cannons.

The other thing I have found with the Aimpoint is that they are the quickest scope I have used, even quicker and easier then the helographic sights.

Hope this is some help or does it just add to the confussion.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com