Caprivi
(.375 member)
17/12/12 03:02 AM
Re: Husky M98 FN Browning in 9,3x62 to .404 Jeffery

Quote:

Planning to rebarrel a close to mint condition M98 from FN from 9,3 to .404 Jeffery.

What kind of bottom metal should I go for? Lenghtening the original one will give med 3 catridges, a custom one 4 or 5? What are my alternatives?
I can live with 3 rounds capacity.
Quote:

Converting a "standard" M98 to a 404 is done all the time, no sweat. If you can "live" with the 3 round stay with that. Expense and weight wise that is a sound way, thou tough to not like that profile of a drop 5 round. Also it is a bit easier to balance the rifle. Especially if you prefer a bit longer barrel.

Quote:

I'm a bit confused when it comes to sights - what would you do?

1: Shallow V and silver bead + flip-up "moon bead".
2: Ghost sight and silver bead + flip-up "moon bead".
3: one of the above plus a telescopic sight:
a) German Pivot mount + 1,5-6x42 Zeiss
b) German Pivot mount + VXIII 2,5-8x36
c) Leupold QR + VXIII 2,5-8x36
d) Leupold QR + 1,5-6x42 Zeiss

I'm quite fond of higher magnification as you see...
Quote:

I like option 3, utilizing sight option 1. Providing of course you want/need a scope. A 404 can surely be a 250yd rifle and a 6x scope would make that easily.

With a M98 I am always at a dilema on commercial detachable scope hardware. I find them all too high, then the sights need to be high to see over tham, then the stock comb becomes too straight and then.........etc...you get the idea. Your ??? on Talley's. They are a option, sort of. When I was still in the business, I used there detachable rings with tiny custom bases. I made up a small base for the rear bridge, then again made a small base that went on the barrel, over the chamber. On certain barrel contours (if balance called for a bit heavier) I would machine the dovetail into the chamber area it self. The object is not to let it be higher thatn the receiver ring. The object of back up iron sights (or the object of said sights with a back up scope, as I veiw it) is for them to be there when needed as well as useable. A Medium like a 404 is a damn fine Buffalo rifle, near perfect for a Lord Derby Eland, would be very cool in the Black after elk, jumping whitetails in the river bottom, hogs most anywhere..........
............sorry for the long opininated diatribe

Quote:

I'd like the rifle to have a classic english look with cheek piece, a rounded pistolgripend, ebony forend tip, red recoil pad, perhaps no quarterrib only an island for the V shaped backsight. Only want one standing leaf, no folded down leaves..
I'd very much like a easy handling rifle, balanced like a shotgun, and would like it to weigh max 9lbs, preferrably 8,5lbs + scope.
Anything I should be aware of?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com