albertan
(.333 member)
15/12/12 06:00 PM
Re: Husky M98 FN Browning in 9,3x62 to .404 Jeffery

I like the 9.3x62 mm. In a Husqvarna the stock dimensions make adding a scope a difficult job. You need about 5- 6 inches of eye relief to pull it off due to the large amount of drop in the heal. The plastic butt plate needs replacement. The soft wood in the action area requiring glass bedding, a couple of cross bolts, and a rear action screw pillar. I have always epoxied an aluminium rod into the wrist of the stock to prevent splitting in the wrist area. They are famous for this. I have played with a few Husky's and know what it costs.

They are a light gun. A 9.3x62 mm is a mild cartridge compared to a big bore. The 9.3 is also a standard length cartridge. A .404 is just as long as a .375 H&H. As the case is much fatter, opening up the bolt face, the magazine, and the feed rails is not the job for an amateur. A gunsmith of this calibre will not be cheap, nor will he be fast. You will have to take a number and wait in line.

If you don't want an action that will handle a .505 Gibbs (CZ magnum)then get a New Winchester in .375 H&H and screw on a new barrel. It will be cheaper. They come in .416 Remington and .458 Winchester as well. The magazine box will accommodate the .404, the action is bedded and cross bolted. A good recoil pad is already installed, and the gun is a proper weight for a big bore cartridge.

Just my opinion, for what it is worth.

albertan

Contact Us NitroExpress.com