fourbore
(.275 member)
17/11/12 11:43 AM
Re: 12GA From Hell

Ed,

Ripp's thread on Montana Rifle Company got me to notice the low price of the big 505Gibbs PH rifle. Wow! Just over $2k for a Gibbs. Beats CZ by almost a grand.

Have you considered working with Montana Rifle Company to get some version of the 585 offered in that $2K safari rifle? I know you gave them a lot of support during the times many on that other forum were complaining about the slow development time for the PH action. A nasty crowd over there. Well the action is done. Now a very reasonably price complete rifle built around that action. It would be nice to have a source of loaded ammo. Superior? I would assume from a manufacturing point of view you would want the rim exactly to 505 specs. I like the 3" case version, but; I am certain that a 3.25 chamber would not hurt anything and be more flexible. I would be nice if there was offering a practical hunting load like 750gr @2100 fps, in addition to a bragging rights (12,000? ft-lb)load. A level I and II choice.

The trick really would be for Montana to agree to chamber any version of your 585 for ~$2K in a no frill package. Ammo availability might promote sales.

I have to agree a bbl band seems almost mandatory these days. Even low cost Ruger 375's went that route with a little complaining. You might pass that along if you have an opportunity.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com