DarylS
(.700 member)
16/10/12 01:04 AM
Re: Powder Temperature debate

The pressure data and load I mentioned was not for the .450 Alaskan - but was for a case possessing 27gr. LESS capacity (.45/70) - thus, the pressure would have been even lower in the .450 Alaskan. All supposition, extropolation, guesstimation - but quite logically correct. As I am shootin ghtis stuff in a model 71/76 Mauser, it had to be low pressure, ie: OK in a Trapdoor Springfield-type safe.

For some PSI pressure data (calculated on a Powley Computer) on the .450 Alaskan, see Jophn Kronfeld's artcile on the Harold Johnson round in Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges (Wolf Publishing)- which starts at 8mm and goes up. The pressures listed seem high, compared to actual pezio pressures generating similar velocities for the same bullets & bullet weights in .45/70 cases and .450 Marlin.

Much of the same ctg. data and articles & of course, many more rounds from .17 cal to .50 Alaskan. Big Bore includes a short article on the .60 Nitro. That's as big as they go.

I never spent the time to figure out my Powley Computer - don't even know where it is right now - literally unused too - might still be around here - somewhere, but haven't seen it's Drk. tan envelope for years.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com