CowboyCS
(.333 member)
18/06/12 08:05 AM
Re: A full 1" bore hunting rifle by Signore Marco Rigido

Quote:

The claim was that the .950 was the largest in the world.

This 1" is larger and the doubles in 4 bore larger yet.

Then, there's the 2 bore single shot ctg. rifle in England - at least a year ago I watched that video, and the 2 bore Nitro ctg. DB rifle that Colin's building right now.

I guess it all just pees me off - the blow-hard claims being made, ie: - the biggest, the fastest, the longest, the highest, the smallest, the shortest - the whatever. If it isn't true, it has no place being stated as fact.

Daryl_S,

The 2 Bore that Giles Whittome built for the Royal Armory is actually closer to a 3 Bore that shoots conicals.

The 2 Bore Single Shot Jones Underlever that I built a couple years ago is a true 2 bore, the groove diameter is 1.326" and it shoots a true 3500gr cast lead round ball or a true 1.326", 3500gr solid Bronze Ballet. Here's the link to my 2 Bore Single:
Finished 2 Bore Jones Underlever
There is also a thread on this forum from a couple years ago with the same pictures.
And of course there is the 2 Bore Double that I am currently building...

BUT, now I'm going to through a caveat on all this. The guns I build are all Black Powder and while they are to the best of my knowledge the biggest shoulder fired sporting arms available at this time, they are all running slower velocities and producing a different kind of recoil than these big bore smokeless guns.

What I'm saying is it depends on how you define the "Biggest", if your definition is the most muzzle velocity and energy(also more recoil as a consequence) then some of these other guns are bigger...if your definition is based on projectile diameter then as far as I know I am the only guy in the world producing a true 2 Bore(the "biggest") shoulder fired sporting rifle. I don't know of anyone who builds a bigger shoulder fired sporting rifle. There are of course some bigger shoulder fired military stuff around.

I didn't build the 2 Bore Jones Underlever Single shot or even now the 2 Bore Double rifle because I wanted to have a claim to building the biggest, I built them because I was commissioned to build them by paying customers and I find them to be a challenging project.

That's my take on it and worth exactly what it cost you.

Colin

Contact Us NitroExpress.com