(.300 member)
19/03/12 05:44 PM
Re: 416 Ruger, Best 416 of all??

Finally picked up my 416 Ruger Alaskan last week and it has now had two trips to the range. The action felt a bit gritty when I first tried it, but is is smoothing out nicely. One gripe was the amount of copper fouling in the barrel when I picked it up. I do not know how many shots Ruger put through it to test it but it took over an hour cleaning to get all the copper out which included a fair bit of work with JB bore compound. This rifle is only 41" long, 20" barrel and weighs nearly 8 pound. The Hogue stock feels great in the hand and I beleive it reduce felt recoil considerably.

I have fired 47 shots with it now without any feeding problems and the barrel is now much easier to clean than when I first got it. I am able to achieve 2300fps with a 400 projectile comfortably and the 340 grn woodleigh is doing over 2500 with Reloader 15. My best 3 shot group of the bench with open sites went 2" at 100 yards. The open sites on this rifle are fixed rear (windage adjustable) and a white bead up front. I find this rifle much more comfortable to fire than my Marlin 1895 with 400 projectiles at 2000 fps.

This is a rifle I would be happy to take into the scrub after anything.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com