Ravenwolf
(.224 member)
22/10/04 05:23 AM
What to Build?

Hi all. Been viewing these forums for a while now and decided to finally post. First let me say it is a great forum. You all get along very well and certainly are a wealth of knowledge. Now for my question. I have a Oberdorf Mauser action that dates back to the 30s. A gunsmith friend of mine who got out of the business gave it to me some time ago but had it hardness tested and said it would be fine for most any conversion done on a standard Mauser action. I am considering having built a custom mannlicher style stocked rifle with a 20” barrel for hunting Whitetail Deer and Black Bear in New York State’s Adirondack Mountains. The style of hunting is mostly still hunting very thick mountain woods where a short carbine would be a great asset. However, occasionally one can sit on a swamp and have shots out to around 200 – 250 yards, but rarely. There is also a real possibility this rifle will be used for Moose and Elk in the western US and eastern Canada. I have been mostly a handgun hunter for the past 20 or so years, using everything from .22s up thru 475 Linebaughs and several wildcat calibers for Contenders, but have enjoyed this forum so much I thought it time for a large bore rifle. What ever caliber is selected I will reload for. So what say ye….what caliber would you recommend? Also, what other options should be considered keeping in mind there are times when I’ll use it scoped and other times when I’ll use open/peep sights, like during still hunting thick woods with heavy snow hanging

Contact Us NitroExpress.com