Martin
(.224 member)
25/09/04 04:04 AM
Re: Mercury Recoil Supressors.

Ray Atkinson is quite correct when he says that a .375 should weigh 9 - 91/2 pounds - but with scope??? Many find that when hunting in the bush they prefer iron sights, particularly in tricky situations; the very time when confidence is crucial.

I used to live in Africa, and neither my own .375 nor any of my friends' .375s or big bores were ever scoped. So be careful. A 9lb scoped rifle will likely weigh 8 lbs with the scoped removed. A 300g bullet, even loaded down to 2400 M/V, will give such a hell of a crack from an 8lb .375 rifle that it is unlikely to inspire confidence in anyone! H & H build their .375s for stock (inventory) to 91/2 pounds, and with good reason. Several years ago Holland's produced a few at 9lbs and everybody complained they kicked like a mule. A 9lb scoped .375 may be fine; just remember to weld on the scope!

"The H & H .375 is as American as apple pie" ???? Come on Ray: I certainly do not wish to spoil the "special relationship", but the H & H .375 is British - and we were eating apple pie when the Mayflower was still at sea.

Martin

Contact Us NitroExpress.com