Martin
(.224 member)
18/09/04 11:42 PM
Synthetic Stocks

Help a Brit?

I am about to take advantage of the more upbeat and "modern" rifle culture, and commission a new custom rifle to be bult in the U.S. The calibre is not finally decided but will probably be H & H .400 - although everyone now seems to be going mad about the .404. I should like to use a synthetic stock but have no experience of these.

My concern is that I shall have to fit the stock, rather than the stock being made to fit me. I do not wish to scope this rifle so need a stock which will work well with express sights on a quater rib - sufficent drop, cast, etc. - but I shall have to order the stock "blind".

I understand that the Brown's Precision Pro Hunter stock is designed for iron sights but I do not like the look of the style. McMillan seem to offer stocks that appear to be more like the "English" traditional design, similar to the Winchester Safari, but I understand they work best with a highish ramp rather than an elegant quater rib which may be too low. (Don't like high quater ribs). The action will likely be ccfHEIN, so anything that will fit an M70 action will be fine.

Does anyone know of a synthetic stock with enough drop to work perfectly with a quater rib, or has anyone made the transition on an iron sighted big bore, from a properly fitted custom wooden stock to a synthetic one? Did it work out fine? Any good suggestions or comments would be very much appriciated.

Martin

Contact Us NitroExpress.com