mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
27/05/11 09:13 AM
Re: Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott

Quote:

Well I was waffling back and forth between double in 470NE, and a bolt rifle in .458 magnum. After going round and round and not finding the double that really stirred me, I came across the Kimber Caprivi in .458 Lott. Did some reading about the short comings of the .458 win mag with "compressed" loads, not shooting up to factory specs in shorter (22inch) barrels, etc etc. Now, I have shot the .458 Win mag and liked it and didn't experience any problems but I had not used it on ANY game, much less dangerous game. While I am still looking for the 470NE double, I decided the Kimber Caprivi offered all the features I desire in such a rifle, has nice looks and was offered in the .458 Lott that supposedly takes care of all the short comings the .458 seemed to have, albeit, in a longer action. Anyway, I purchased a new one today after looking at lots of pictures of the wood in the grip area and getting a much below retail price. I ordered the scope bases for the rifle just to have them in case I want to mount the Swarovski PH variable 1.4-4 I have in the gun cabinet. Rifle should be here in the next couple of weeks. here is the link to the Kimber caprivi: http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/specialty/caprivi

Any experience with this caliber in the game fields or range? Anything wrong with the Caprivi? I plan on using this for a water buff hunt in july and for future back up to the double. With the money I saved on this rifle over a double, and on the ammo, over NE ammo, I can pay for that plains game trip to RSA in August. All in all, I think I'm pleased with the choice (until I get schooled by the experience here!!!!) Pictures to follow once it arrives.

Mike: I tried sending you an email, using the email address you have listed in your profile. Please update it to a current email address. The one in your profile came back to me as not valid. Here's the message I received:

The following message to <rjohns94@jhu.edu> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: rjohns94@jhu.edu'

Contact Us NitroExpress.com