fourbore
(.275 member)
09/05/11 08:11 AM
Re: 416 Ruger, Best 416 of all??

458 thats very logical all around. While I know a very light 375H&H can be built. For a truely light 40, I probably look at the 404J. A 416 Rigby could be (and is) made light enough for me, but not for everyone. It is big, really big case. Nothing will change the fact 416Ruger gets is done and has a shorter bolt throw and fits almost any gun. Its shorter than the Remington too. Same length as the Taylor, though, which seems good nuff.

Here is the rub, in my view. If we start to see 416Ruger gain acceptance with more guns more loads offered. And the generally accepted reason is shorter bolt throw, guess what? Some company will find a way to make a 416 shorter and the owners of 416 Rugers end up high and dry like the 416 Rem guys were until recently. And the 416 Rem situation is still pretty crappy.

I am pretty sure there will remain a healthy demand for the Rigby and Jeff based on tradition. My best. The new and improved guys will jump ship right away.

Today all big 40 shooters are up against it with ammo costs. And no hope in sight of any one gaining an edge to change that. It is nice to see those $40(+/-?) green boxes of 375H&H ammo.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com