4seventy
(Sponsor)
07/08/04 09:42 AM
Re: Question about the Leupold VX-III Heavy Duplex

Yeah, I would rather have a reticle that is a bit on the thick side than one that is too thin, especially for DG.
About 20 years ago I bought a like new 2-7 Leup really cheap because it had the tiny floating dot reticle which as you would know is useless for hunting.
I immediatly sent the scope off to the states to have a different reticle fitted.
I'd always used the standard duplex type but because I now had a choice I decided to have the CPC type reticle fitted.
Big mistake!
I found that shooting in thick scrub, especially in low light and on running shots, I could not pick up the cross in the center of the CPC reticle anywhere near as well as the duplex type.

Actually I'm trying to locate one of the first release Leupold 1.75-6 scopes for one of my doubles.
The one I want is the short tube version, not the later E model, as it just happens to suit the ring location on that particular rifle.
Anyone know where I can buy one?

The heavy crosshair is not ideal for precision shooting at long range but is often preferable for many other hunting situations.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com