Freeloader123
(.275 member)
03/03/11 03:51 PM
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula

Quote:

Quote:

We were - or I was - talking about Big Game - bigger than deer.

Re your 270, I always go the bigger bullet as I reckon it just gives you the edge on angling shots for penetration
as the weight carries it through well.

Again, I agree.

I am the one guilty of changing the subject by bringing up whitetails, but have to say that even on deer, at least in the deep woods where I hunt, I prefer a bigger, heavier bullet to stop and anchor the animal where I hit him. Maybe I am just a lousy shot through the trees and brush with my iron sights, but I hate tracking wounded game, and I want the hunt over as quickly and humanely as possible.

Now, where I hunt there are few shots over 75 yards. If you hunt deer in the open, with good visibility and at longer and more varying ranges, somewhat lighter bullets and higher velocities make for flatter shooting, and I can understand the preference.

Even against larger or dangerous game, a relatively smaller .338 or .375 magnum probably makes more sense at 150 yards or more. When it's up close and personal (like it should be when it's more about hunting than marksmanship, IMHO), give me at least a .400. I also believe that close range hunting is what Mr. Taylor was talking about.

For once I'm not guilty of changing the subject.

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest hunting blacktails in the thick woods and I do not use a .270 there. I use a .300 Savage. But I've got to confess to using 150 grain bullets as opposed to 180 grain bullets. For two reasons; (a) that's what's on the shelves in the stores where I bought my ammo and (b) they work.

It may be that my experience is different than most, but for animals below 300 pounds I don't find the heaviest-for-caliber-bullet to be the best choice. I seem to anchor them better when I use bigger-than-needed-cartridge with a light-but-still-reasonable bullet.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com