Freeloader123
(.275 member)
01/03/11 06:00 AM
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula

Quote:

4seventy
Freeloader, quite a few SBC's in OZ. Late 60's early 70's Holden Monaro's could be had new with SB Chevy power.
Hotrodders here use SB Chevy's a lot also.
I once had a 350 small block with a turbo-400 trans in a Landcruiser trayback.
It was awesome in soft sand beach driving!

An SBC is not to be despised. It's not my favorite small block, but I happen to be married to one right now. It's in my '71 El Camino (think Holden Ute). I'm not complaining. Once I replace her beating heart with the AFR-headed roller-cammed four-bolt main forged-crank small block taking up space in my garage, I'll be sitting even more firmly in the heart of the land of not-complaining.

But when it comes to small blocks I lust after Cleveland Fords, and you guys down under build the best. Growing up in the late '70s the hot ticket was to get an Aussie Cleveland 351 block, but you had to know someone who built superstock engines to get one. Now, if the rules allow an SBF to be competitive (i.e. you don't need a big block [do you have big blocks down under?]) a Ford outfitted with Aussie CHI cylinder heads invariably wins the Jeg's powermaster competition.

I drove one '71 Boss 351 Mustang once. Only one time, and I've never been the same since. A high school friend I car-pooled with asked me if I "minded" driving as he was worn out after football practice.

Asking me if I "minded" driving that car would be like a Victoria's Secret supermodel asking me if I "minded" having sex with her.

Well, OK. But only this time and you owe me a favor (he he he).

Anyways, back on topic. I probably should have mentioned that the last two animals I discussed in my immediately prior post WERE NOT shot with a .375. I shifted mental gears and should have said they were shot with a .338 WinMag. Which seems to work just about as well as a .375 on everything I've ever shot with one. Which admittedly hasn't been a whole hell of a lot.

Most of the game I shoot doesn't need more than my .270. Which leads me to believe I'm not really qualified to commment on Taylor's Knock Out formula. Perhaps somebody with more experience on really big game can fill me in on this desire to quantify killing power in some sort of formula. Because I don't get it. The subject's been talked to death, and minimum cartridges have been pretty well established. At this point, shouldn't we be talking about what bullets out of those cartridges work as advertised, and which don't?

Not all of them do work.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com