DarylS
(.700 member)
21/02/11 11:01 AM
Re: Views on Taylor Knockout (TKO) Formula

How do the ultra-fast .300's bullets work on Sambar?

The Elk here arn't that impressed, and neither are the moose - at times - other times they drop - quite interesting, actually.

I've watched an Elk calf take a 129gr. Horndy from a 6.5x68- driven at 3,300fps, make a 3" entrance hole just above the elbow, 4" exit other side, lungs, I guess (liquid red splatter) blasted out each side on first second and third shots*(same place), spaced about 15 to 25 second apart. Yeah - over a minute without any lungs after the first shot. During this episode, the elk ran about 60 yards, stopping and milling around each time they ran about 30 yards. Finally, it appeared the Elk Calf realized it was dead, dropped his head and bled out his nose - then collapsed - maybe 1 1/2 minutes after the first shot blew it's lungs and heart to mush. There were no pieces- just mung. I was watching with 15X binocs. Impressive tough that bull elk calf, about the size of a really big Mulie- probably 250 pounds, maybe bit more (December). Now, the thought of the bullet 'shocking' and sort of cauterizing the tissues comes to mind as it took a long time for the blood to exit it's nose- ie; over a minute.

Perhaps this happens with high velocity rounds. Some game animals are susceptable, some aren't.

Much also depends on the animal's alertness to danger - spooked or not or already shot. My bro has finished off about 4 or 5 moose now, which were wounded by clients with arrows or bullets. His 250gr. RN's starting out at 2,150fps from his .356Win. dropped every moose dead inside 20 yards of the shot. That ctg. works well for that purpose, or for the initial shot as long as a client hasn't 'borrowed' it (they always miss - low and right or left).

Contact Us NitroExpress.com