crkennedy1
(.375 member)
04/02/11 01:41 AM
Re: Most common sight set up for 375 H&H guns

Handloader 52, I have a .375 H&H - Browning A-Bolt, stainless stalker with the BOSS muzzle break. It is topped with the Zeiss Conquest 3 - 9 X 40. It's a relatively nice set up, and very functional. Zeiss makes a quality product and the optics are very clear and crisp. They also stand behind their product. I had a problem with the scope (no fault of theirs - It had been mounted incorrectly which damaged the scope) they replaced it, no questions asked.
My issue is actually with the .375 caliber itself. I've shot a couple of elk with it, but in both cases the experience was less than optimal. One could argue that it was "operator error" (poor shooting, etc.), but I have been in identical situations elk hunting with my .338 Win Mag and my .30-06, both with similar set-ups and had much better success. For me, I think the .375 is over rated. When I last went to Africa to hunt plains game my PH told me to leave the .375 at home and bring my .30-06. I used factory loaded Federal Power Shock and harvested eight animals using eight shells, everyone a one-shot kill from kudu to duiker - all at 100 to 300 yards distance. On the other side of the coin, it took me almost a dozen shells to finally put down an elk using the .375 H&H that was only about 200 yards out. I find the .375 clunky and inaccurate, but the Zeiss optics are awesome... my 2 cents worth - take it or leave it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com