Handloader52
(.224 member)
12/12/10 09:37 AM
Re: Tell me about the Browning Safari in .375 H&H Magnum

Well, I received the Safari after having purchased it on line...and I'm sending it back. The stock is what I've been told is "salt wood" and there were two spots of rust damage below the stock line on the left side of the action, between the receiver ring and the bolt stop. An 8-digit number was also scratched into the bottom metal near the front action screw. Other than that the gun was quite nice but when I'm told "it's 95%" I don't expect to see rust damage and numbers hand scratched into the metal. However, let me tell you what I saw that was of interest.

a. The action is marked "L70" in front of a six digit serial number on the right side of the action and again on the right side of the barrel immediately in front of the receiver.
b. The receiver ring is notched at the front directly above (12 o'clock) the front of the magazine, is suppose to provide clearance for the cartridge nose while loading. Interestingly, the receiver ring is not notched for clearance on the right where the nose would be when ejecting live cartridges.
c. Like many other standard (30'06) length Mauser actions converted to 375 H&H, this one had the lower recoil lug (which is also the loading ramp) significantly reduced in depth due to the need to move the front of the magazine forward. It was very nicely done as you would expect from Browning but every other time I've seen this done I get squeamish.
d. The gun had a Lyman 48 receiver sight in new condition. Not a single blemish. Boy oh boy are they hard to find.
e. The biggest surprise was the second recoil lug welded to the bottom of the barrel. I thought I'd see another lug but assumed it would be dovetailed like you see on the Whitworth. Browning did this one right.

Well, thanks to all for your input. I'm really sorry this deal didn't work out. It is a very interesting rifle indeed.
Keith

Contact Us NitroExpress.com