9.3x57
(.450 member)
12/12/10 01:13 AM
Re: Most common sight set up for 375 H&H guns

Tom:

I have one of those NECG rear sights For a 77} and I don't like it either.

Here's my old SAKO. 1986-ish circa.

Scope is an old Leupold 4X, finally collapsed on me last year and I had it rebuilt and the old Plex switched with the heavy-wired Leupold version of the 4a German.

Mounts are EAW. Not sure why, maybe Paul Jaeger made more dough on them than the SAKO QD's and I didn't know any better at the time? They've worked well.

Rear sight had a tiny "V" I opened up many years ago with a file and the front sight is now, well.....a 20d nail I forged and filed and fitted after the original busted off. Zeroed to print 300 Hornady RN's an inch high at 50 meters or so. After I suffered a nerve disease to my shooting shoulder ten years ago I had the muzzle threaded for a cheese grater but then the hard rubber recoil pad petrified on me and had a Limb Saver stuck on the gun and threw away the cheese grater. They are the definition of annoying...

The gun was beat-to-snot and looked like it was made from stainless steel after 20 years of adventures with it and I had it reblued and finished a couple three years ago. Then the bedding let go and I rebedded it {floated the barrel}.

For thick stuff and weaving bullets to dodge limbs and such I'd love a 1.5-24 variable but I haven't found one readily available { } so I'm stuck with the 4x for another 20 years I guess.

For varminting the 4x leaves something to be desired but works in a pinch...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com