hunter_angler
(.300 member)
11/11/10 10:30 AM
Re: .400 Jeffery for Plains Game

Thanks, Steve. You have considerably more experience than I do as a rifleman and a gunsmith, but I agree with a lot of your points.

First, my eyes are no longer what they once were either. Although I do not use a scope, I do use a peep/aperture sight for most any shots beyond 50 yards. Beyond 200 yards I seldom even take a shot. As far as I am concerned that sort of shooting falls more into the category of marksmanship than hunting. I prefer when the connection is a bit more up close and personal, more sporting if you will.

I also agree that if I were deliberately venturing within 50 yards of a buff or lion, wounded or not, I would prefer having my double in .470 NE in my hands. Based on my experience and what I can gleam from others, anything bigger than that is probably overkill at both ends. However, a .411-.423 caliber is capable of taking anything on land at reasonable ranges, if one is sufficiently in control of the situation and places the shot well. As an all 'rounder, relative to a .375 H&H, a "forty" maybe tips the balance away from long range capability and toward stopping power, more important to me. I also see no need for muzzle velocities greater than 2150 fps, which in my view tip the balance toward self induced torture.

I own more guns than I need, and larger and smaller bores are fun and serve specific purposes. Frankly, given my approach to hunting I sometimes feel that in North America I really need nothing more than a 12 gauge shotgun and my lever in .348 WIN, and that in Africa I could just replace the latter with my .450/400. Or maybe a new custom BLR in .416 Taylor...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com