mauserand9mm
(.400 member)
05/11/10 09:57 AM
Re: cast loads in 458WM

They are 0.459" - I made sure of that after I had dramas with the 405gn projectiles at 0.458". Only a small portion of the 0.458" hit the target at 100 yards and those that did were completely sideways - if fact you could hear that were unstable from the muzzle due to the weird noise they made. The 500gns sound normal so I thought they may be losing stability further down range due to the low initial velocity but I guess once they've been "spun-up" they shouldn't lose stability since the spin doesn't appreciably drop off as it travels down range.

There was no evidence of leading with the 500gn either but at 900fps I wouldn't have expected any.

I have to keep these below 1700fps as they don't have gas checks and use a dry coating of some sort. I have a Lyman reloading manual that identify the velocities I want using the IMR equivalents of AR2205 and AR2207 but am keen to get feedback from others that may have used the AR powders and in the CZ, but all comments/suggestions appreciated.

Interesting (frustrating?) playing around with lead. I recently discovered that my Traiboss loads and the 405gn projectiles are good at 20gns but accuracy dissappears with 21gns (keyhole, not all hitting the target etc) - no leading and no weird sounds either.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com