Ingwe
(.275 member)
23/07/04 08:35 AM
Re: .375 or .416 I would like your help

IMHO, the 404 Jeffrey is a better choice than the other two. With handloads it is every bit the equal of the Rigby, and makes a bigger hole to boot, yet it can be had in a lighter, handier rifle. It has probably taken more DG than any 2 other similar calibers combined. The only drawback to the Jeffrey, is that much to my disbelief, it is not offered by anyone commercially that I know of, at this time. That means you would pretty much have to build it. Ray Atkinson gives an excellent recipe in another thread on building one on a CZ action, I think for around 1500.00. If you didn't want to spend that much money, then certainly the .375 and the .416 can be had for less, and that is the advantage they have over the Jeffrey. If I were going that route, then I would say this: If you can truly handle the recoil and truly shoot the .416 every bit as well as you can shoot the .375, then I would say to go with the .416, but if in truth you shoot the .375 better than the .416, then you should go with that. My .02.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com