Trex
(.224 member)
22/07/04 10:03 AM
Re: Suggestions for Two Battery Rifle for Africa

Nitrox,

As you say the 338 and 375 are too close. My only problem is I am not really sure what conditions are going to be concerning range. I will cover this more when the time approaches with my PH. Of the three guns that I mentioned I have shot all three at DG and killed each animal with one or two shots at the most. (Two shots [338 win mag] on an Alaskan Browine but it was my fault and not the bear's). I like your mindset concerning the 338 for range but here is my quandray. If I take the 338 and the Lott or the 357 and something happens to the Buff gun (take your pick Mr. Murphy is alive and well in Africa), then I am stuck with no Buff gun. Make sense? Maybe I am worrying to much - my first hunt to Africa I just went and hunted and was happy as a pig in slop. I didn't obsess over which gun I took I just took the 375 and was happy. Couldn't make some of the plains shots that I wanted but hey I was happy. Anyway, I thank all of you veterans for your sage advice! I have decided one thing the more I look at Buff the more I want to take the Lott. I know that literally thousands have been killed with the H & H but I really don't see it as a charge stopping rifle. I know that it can do the job in skilled hands but I am no Capstick! I like (well like isn't the right word but close) to shoot the Lott. When I was in Alaska two years ago I used a friends and it stopped a Browine cold! That I really like!

Thanks Again!
Cheers
Trex

Contact Us NitroExpress.com