DrJon
(.224 member)
18/07/04 08:34 AM
Re: winchester safari express vs Ruger ExpressvsDakota

Eric,
I was glad to read about the success you have had with your two Winchester rifles. I recently purchased a Winchester 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H Mag, but have not even fired it yet. Sadly, I discovered that the last round in the magazine does not feed reliably; it tends to pop out of the magazine as the round before it is ejected. Upon closer inspection, it seems that the follower is not providing enough support to the left side of the cartridge, so instead of being wedged up against and under the right side feed rail it is allowed to slip past and pop free of the magazine. I confirmed this by building up the deficient area of the follower with bits of scotch tape, and sure enough, the last round stays put in the magazine. Earlier, I had returned the gun to Gander Mountain to have their gunsmith work on the rifle (under warrantee), but he determined that it was the magazine spring, not the follower that was the problem, and that it would be several weeks before he could get a new, higher power spring to replace it. I obviously disagree with his theory. I kept possession of the rifle until the part comes in, figuring that it was still usable at the range as-is and that I could fiddle with it to see if I could right the problem myself (not to mention not wanting to take the chance of the rifle being damaged while in the shop).

How is the feed on your rifles? Do the last rounds stay put in their magazines? Winchester did send me a replacement follower, but it had the same problem as the original (and I double checked the part number with the parts diagram to make sure they gave me the right thing). I have a theory that Winchester might have received a batch of slightly out of spec followers, and that is what is causing my problem. Any advice or information you, or others on the forum, could give me would be most helpful. Thanks,

-Jon

Contact Us NitroExpress.com