poprivit
(.333 member)
18/07/10 03:52 AM
Quandary

OK, what to take, what to take?

I'm leaving for ZA Aug. 2 for a 14-day leopard hunt. I'm taking my S&W 500 Mag w/red dot as primary weapon. Leopard will be taken from a 40-yard blind (if I'm lucky). For my backup I have a choice between my .416 Ruger Hawkeye and a Weatherby ,257. The Ruger is shooting 400-gr bullets and weighs 7.8 lb with scope. Kicks like a rabid mule - not fun. Weatherby shoots a 100-gr. Triple Shock Barnes at 3,400 fps - zero kick.

I plan on using the 500 Mag on anything and everything. Load - 500-gr. bullets@ 1425 fps. I've taken an old stink bull giraffe with the same load. The gun is 6.5 inch bbl with a Burris red dot sight. As of yesterday I put 5 rounds in the ten ring at 50 yards - all touching. Yes, it do kick a bunch. I use a shooting glove.

Both rifles shoot to POI at 100 yards, and I won't be using them at a greater distance.

The animals I would use them on are:
Bait - bushbuck, old eland female, old impala,etc. Leopard only as a very last resort.

While there I plan on trying for a tuskless elephant permit, but it isn't very likely. And, yes, I'd use the 500 Mag.

Which rifle would you take?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com