Ben
(.400 member)
10/05/10 07:06 AM
Hunting Happiness and Range Woes...

On the weekend, my mate and I took our rifles, CZ550s in .416 Rigby and .375 H&H Mag. respectively, to the range in the city. We'd never been to a range before. Well, we got our butts kicked by our rifles, in two ways. Firstly, sitting at a bench and shooting these things is more painful than I enjoy. It must be an angle that we are sure not used-to. I only managed four shots at the bench before I could no longer shoot at it, and had to free-stand or rest the rifle snooker-style on the edge of one of the uprights as if it was a tree out in the bush (one of my favourite positions). Shooting in this familiar way was much, much better. Secondly, our accuracy wasn't so good, and our confidence would've taken a hammering but for one thing: We reminded ourselves that after our (youngish) lifetimes of bush shooting and hunting, almost nothing gets away once we pull that trigger. Having only ever hunted with my rifle (to see how it shot when I first got it and loaded-up some rounds for it, I used a feral donkey and a nice buffalo bull), the pain has never been unbearable, even after twelve shots. But on the weekend, it did become unbearable. My mate was experiencing accuracy trouble with his rifle, with hitting about a foot low at various distances. This didn't make sense to us, as he is absolute death on boars and bulls with it, hitting precisely where he wants to. Our rifles have open sights, by the way. Any thoughts?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com