mauserand9mm
(.400 member)
14/03/10 08:43 PM
Re: cast loads in 458WM

Okay, reloading last night and at the range today.

I loaded 14rnds with Winchester cases, CCI magnum primers, 42 grains AR2205, no filler, 405gn Hawkesbury River (no GC) seated to the crimping groove and crimped.

All loads went bang. Couldn't seem to hit the target at 100 yards - shooting very high. Moved target back to 50 yards. Out of four shots, two hit the target and both were 100% sideways. Guy next to me had a chrono and he put 3 of my loads across it (in my rifle of course) - 1740fps, 1820fps and 1680fps, or there abouts.

Advice was that I should try seating the projectile further out - the first lot I tried last week, and the ones that went bang and hit the target, went through pointing the right way and left a round hole.

I got home and it was obvious that the Hawkesburys were not meant to go this fast. I did my normal cleaning routine (less the Sweets copper solvent) but haven't got all the lead out of the bore yet - close, but I'll need another session. The patches were black and had slivers of lead on them.

Trailboss was recommended to me and I'm waiting on another guy to donate a small amount to me before I proceed.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com