DarylS
(.700 member)
13/03/10 04:00 AM
Re: cast loads in 458WM

Quote:

Yes you could be right, but I've seen a stuck projectile in a 9mm semi-auto pistol - primer only, no powder. Took a suprisingly decent whack on the "ram rod" to knock it back out. 9mm is a reasonable bore size considering also that it was only a small pistol primer that did this.

I'll try it in the 458 when I get home tonight. I have to pull apart 16 remaining cast reloads anyway (for powder and load adjustment) and will try one with primer only and see what happens. This will be without crimp, as per the other reloads I tried.

Maybe the last one that got stuck at the range did burn some of the powder - the change in colour and bunching may have been caused by the heat of some of the powder igniting perhaps?

Sticking a bullet into the throat with only a primer might be different than having the same thing happen with a big rifle case full of powder. The powder, due to it's compressibility, aborbs the energy of the primer and the bullet stays in the throat. I recall having a .458 2" without powder, fire of the primer without moving the bullet. I always used a heavy roll crimp with that rifle, which may have contributed considerably to the bullet not moving.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com