xausa
(.400 member)
10/02/10 12:28 AM
Re: 510 Wells Build Questions

Quote:

It is the eye-exercising forgings and milling on the old military actions that gives them character modern turned-rod sporters have left behind.

Well, my rifles have been called a lot of things over the years, but "modern turned-rod sporters" Was not one of them.

If you examine the pictures of my altered Enfield bolt handle, you will see that the bolt knob is back where it started before the alteration. If it hadn't been, I wouldn't have been able to perform the rapid fire exercises with it I actually did (four solid hits on a running rhino, four solid hits on a running Cape buffalo).

Altering the Enfield bolt certainly is not necessary from the standpoint of mounting a scope. It is plenty low already, and the safety presents no problems either, except that there is no way to cycle the bolt with the safety on, and disassembling the bolt can be a real bear, compared to disassembling any Mauser or Mauser derived (Springfield, etc.) action, where all you have to do is set the safety on the intermediate position and then depress the latch and unscrew the bolt sleeve. Unscrewing an Enfield bolt sleeve requires either the use of a vise or a lot of muscle power to accomplish.

I'm quite fond of the Enfield action, but until Remington did some major cosmetic fixes on it and dubbed it the Model 720, it was certainly not a thing of beauty.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com