Altamaha
(.333 member)
30/01/10 02:21 PM
Re: 510 Wells Build Questions

Quote:

Hey guys,

Just a quick update. I snagged my p14 donor rifle, and it is in the mail. She still has the .303 barrel on her, so I'll probably see how she shoots with that before I put the new barrel on. I've also snagged myself a bastogne walnut stock that is pre-inletted for the action. Now I just have to wait on the barrel, as the guy I'm buying from is on holidays at the moment...

There is going to be lots of worked involved with this one. Between contouring the barrel, opening up the action, getting it to feed properly, getting the weird barrel threads cut, and then trying to track down brass ($$$), it should be fun.

As an aside, I was thinking a guy might also be able to use a .50-110 case and use that as the basis for a build. Brass is MUCH cheaper, and the rimmed case isn't that much wider than the base of the .460 WBY. It also is a shorter case, so the magazine wouldn't need opening up or modifications. I think the only catch is seeing if the case can hold 100ish grains of smokeless. I reckon if it can hold 110 of black powder, the smokeless should be no problem.

Just thinking out loud...

Threads are easy, I have barreled several P-14's and 1917 Enfields. Square thread, just make sure the smith understands square threads and how to fit them tight. I spot in the threads with prussian bluing compound to be sure I have good engagement. Tool bit grinding is the key, it has to be the exact size. I also grind a little hook on the top of the tool bit, like a cutoff or parting tool. This cuts the steel and rolls out a nice chip. A flat top tool bit will tear the steel and chatter.

Things you should do: Face the front of the receiver ring. Lightly lap the lugs for uniform contact. Check the bolt face for squareness and correct if necessary. If you scope the rifle, drill and tap for 8-40 screws. I have truing arbors for all the actions I work with, if you need I will post a photo. Think about triggers and safetys and cock on opening. You need a recoil lug on the barrel as in the photo. Pillar bed the action. Cross bolts in the stock. And a wrist reinforcing rod epoxied in. I use grade 8 all thread 1/2" in diameter, extends from the rear pillar back into the big area of the butt. Steelbed or something similar bedded around both recoil lugs. AcraGlas or something similar to bed the remainder of the barrel and action. The barrel recoil lugs I make have draft on the front and sides so you can get the barreled action out of the stock after the bedding has cured!

I will do some case measuring tomorrow, I have 50-110 cases stashed in the shop. I have also thought of using 500 Nitro cases, I have a few in 3-1/4" length. Sort of expensive cases, but would make an interesting cartridge when adapted for a bolt action, might have to turn the rims and make a semi-rimmed.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com