xausa
(.400 member)
22/01/10 05:35 AM
Re: Calling all Ruger RSM owners: Scope QD ring question

I am curious as to the utility of an eight power scope on a .458 Lott, or any hunting rifle, for that matter. As a rule, eye relief in variable power scopes decreases in proportion to the increase in power, so to use the highest power you will either have to sacrifice the field of view or move your head perilously close to the ocular lens of the scope.

I am aware that one justification for such variables is that the hunter can dispense with binoculars and simply use his rifle scope for game spotting. I find this objectionable from two standpoints.

First, moving a rifle around while looking for game causes unnecessary motion, and motion is what game animals react to. The chances of spooking game are much higher spotting game with a rifle scope.

Secondly, and more importantly, it is an unsafe practice. Pointing a rifle at an unidentified object can have tragic consequences, if the object turns out to be a human being. I have actually had this happen to me, and the outcome was almost tragic for the other hunter. I was walking down a fire break, when I happened to see the glitter of a scope reflecting in the sunlight from a nearby tree, I quickly got a tree between myself and the scope and yelled at the "hunter". He was very apologetic and claimed that he was just "scoping the area for deer." I was ready to do some reverse "scoping" to see how well he liked it.

I have always used straight tube scopes on powerful rifles. I find four power scopes the most practical for the lighter calibers and 2 1/2 to 3X best for heavier ones. The 1.5-5X variables represent a good compromise, although I think 5X is unnecesarily powerful.

Aside from other considerations, the straight tube scopes allow for the very lowest of mountings, so that a stock which fits properly for iron sights should fit for such a scope as well.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com