chuck375
(.333 member)
10/01/10 01:40 AM
Re: Big Bore bullets--sectional density vs velocity

Very good article 9.3x57, thanks for the link. A couple of thoughts... Obviously if a bullet doesn't expand at all and retains all of its weight it will penetrate better = solid even if all of the other bullets have the same sectional density. Still the author makes a very good point. I think what we are looking for in an expanding bullet, is good reliable expansion even at reduced velocities (200 to 400 yards out), excellent weight retention even after hitting bone at close range and stability and deep penetration inside of the animal. The original Nosler partitions did all of that for lighter skinned North American game except for the weight retention, but they did retain the ability to expand out to long ranges. The Swift A-Frames tend to be a little on the slower expanding/tough side at lower velocities, but other than that seem pretty ideal. An A-Frame type bullet with Woodleighs bonding and expansion/softness might be the perfect North American bullet, particularly in a heavy for caliber bullet like the .375 350gs (by the way I got 2410 fps with the 350g Woodleigh using H4350 out of my CZ 550 375 H&H). Since I've moved up to a 500 Jeffery (don't ask me why lol) I'm looking forward with great anticipation to the new .510 North Fork Softpoints coming out.

Happy New Year to you all,

Chuck

Contact Us NitroExpress.com