Ripp
(.577 member)
26/04/09 12:12 AM
Re: Cartridge Choice for a big game bolt action rifle?

Quote:

My comments were not directed at anything you said, Ripp...

But just generally to some remarks made that the 458 Win Mag was inadequate for DG!

I was aiming to show that any difference between it and the Lott will never be noticed by an ele or buff, and it will shoot flat enough to take a moose at 400 yds. So, it's a lot more versatile than some might believe, or admit.

What... a 375 H&H will shoot a 300gr at 2650 fps? A 458 will fire a 350gr at 2600+ fps! That's not exactly lobbing soft balls!

And it will do either with eye-popping accuracy! At least as accurate as any 375. That's the only point I'm making. Just trying to correct a false gospel that's being preached!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Bob
I really wasn't going after you either--sorry if it seems as so..that is one of the problems with this source of communication..never really know the voice inflection and actual nature of the statements..

Agree with you totally---if the 458W was such a dog, everyone PH and his mother wouldn't be carrying one..I have one as well which will probably go with me the next time I head over...

there was actually an article I posted recently on this site regarding this exact thing--believe it was from an interview "RELOADER" magazine had with a former retired employee of the reloading arm for Winchester....who stated with the jerky movement of their equipment at the time, many cases lost powder before the bullet was seated -so the full charge was not in many rounds...

Not taking anything away form the Lott--great round..but, IMHO, so is the Winchester...

Take care and be well...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com