JoeR
(.224 member)
07/04/04 08:14 AM
Re: New Gun (lefty)

NitroSteel, I too am a southpaw who has both left and right boltguns and, like Robgunbuilder, I prefer a right hand bolt for DG. On the heavier recoiling rifles, I do not think the slight increase in time to work the bolt is bothersome as the recoil of these rifles makes immediate f/u shots unlikely anyway. I do not like the single shots for buff. As to recoil, the 416 Rigby, in a rifle of similar weight, has significantly more recoil than the 458 Win Mag, which in turn, has significantly more recoil than the 375 H&H. I have extensive experience with all three and I chose the 416 Rigby for my last buff hunt in Zim. Some problems with the pressure increase on the 416 Rem keep surfacing (see the African-Hunting forum) and thus, for Africa, I would put the 416 Rem actually behind the 458 Win(girven good loads) for DG suitability. Also agree that the CZ 550 in 416 Rigby is very hard to beat for the money, bed the stock and bolt it or you will split the stock, if you decide to go with a RH gun. Good luck.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com