Ripp
(.577 member)
13/02/09 12:47 PM
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues

Quote:

Not to hijack the thread - but 9.3 makes certain points that I dont disagree on , however, ALL off the shelf rifles may not be what you want in total.... length of pull, trigger creep / break, sights, scope mounts, stock shape or material and so on.

Every off the shelf rifle needs to be worked to YOUR satisfaction. If it doesn't work as a reliable rifle - I agree that is a bad thing.

I marvel at how Remington devotees buy anything in the green box and then basically throw everything away but the action and bolt - and even then they "true it" all up..... why bother?....
++++++++++++

I am one of those Remington devotees you described above and so had to respond to your argument...have done exactely what you describe --have stipped down several and built them in other calibers that where either not available or just wanted one more in my custom form..so you are correct to a point..BUT, also have probably a dozen or so in my safe where I have done nothing too and will shoot every bit as well as any cooper, sako, ruger, hs, and custom I have purchased, all for 1/3 or less of the price of the others...and with nothing done other than adjust the trigger...perfect example..have taken a custom shop Remington .416 on 4 hunts alone in Africa..not so much as a hickup...and have killed everything I have pointed it at...so...

Guess, my point is, Remington in NOT a high grade weapon, but the basics of it lend itself quite well to built that accurate weapon..as I have stated many times..look at what the custom shops are using for actions...don't think it is a mere coincidence that the majority are using Remington actions..

Some would say that Merkel is junk - go buy a so and so ---- its only $35000 - but I can bet there would be the same requirements to get that rifle to where YOU want it.
+++++++++++++++

Totally disagree with this --have had both the Merkels and a so and so...while the Merkel is a very find weapon for the money there is NO comparison to a fine older english gun...IMHO...and NO, I didn't have to do anything to it once it was purchased...

Agree you can tinker with any new gun and that is the great part of getting a new weapon...but what was described at the beginning of this thread that you could not even chamber the round the gun was built for...that is beyond the typical tinkering...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com