9.3x57
(.450 member)
12/02/09 01:57 AM
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues

Quote:

If you look at any mauser action the lips are "waisted" to some degree or other dependingon the usage and the shell size.

Correct. The relationship of rails to extractor to case length and head size must all be correct to provide 100% reliable control round feed.

BTW - the only special marking on my BRNOs or CZ that I have seen is on the follower in my BRNO 602 9.3 x 64 where the follower is stamped "9.3x64" The mag boxes appear to be the same. However there may be differences in the newest rifles.

As I mentioned before, the mag boxes on some calibers are stamped on the front left side. If he hasn't already, bigboar should pull the mag box out and check it. It might be stamped with the caliber, might not be. If it is not, measurements can be made of it and a call placed to CZ. They should be able to confirm it is correct or not. I have generally found them helpful on the phone, and if you find you have the wrong mag box I bet they'll send you the right one free of charge.

Back to Bramble's point for a moment. Many of the issues being described here {sharp edges, etc} are what leads some to think of these guns as "kit guns". In the past such issues were called "poor quality" and got a gun a really bad reputation. Obviously things have changed due to costs, the zeal to get a big one regardless of potential QC problems, the essentially "minor" {i.e. repairable} nature of the problems, availability of cheap bedding compunds, changing attitudes about quality, etc.

The statements about the guns being great after rebedding and rebolting ditto. The more I think about Bramble's semi-finished gun idea, the more I like it. To have the semi-finished features identified and known before buying would be handy. Some of us are willing to more-or-less rebuild a gun from the belly up, some not. It is the lottery aspect of the purchase that causes concern.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com