xausa
(.400 member)
10/02/09 01:35 AM
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues

Mike,

When I was in college, I was heavy into varmint (crows and groundhogs) shooting. I had a friend who wanted to participate, so I was able to locate a nice Oberndorf military action for $25.00 (this was in the 50's), my gunsmith friend had a good medium varmint weight take-off barrel in .250-3000, which he cut off and rechambered to .257 Roberts and fitted for $40.00, my Marine Corps Reserve Unit had an arrangement to buy scopes wholesale from Unertl, so I got a 1" target scope for another $40.00 and added a Fajan stock for about $12.50. By the time the rifle was assembled, it had cost about $125.00, plus sweat equity in the form of stock fitting and finishing.

We took it out to the range and I sighted it in using 75 grain Sierra handloads and then went hunting with it. After my friend had missed several shots in a row, he complained about the rifle not being sighted in correctly, so I took my next shot with it. It so happened that I was able to line up two crows facing opposite directions on a limb and get both with one shot, dispelling any notion of a faulty sight adjustment (I thought).

Some time later, this same friend and I were at the rifle range with my gunsmith friend, who was shooting groups off the bench at 200 yards with his Hart barrelled .220 Swift Model 70. After he had shot several in the 1" to 1 1/2" range, he turned the rifle over to me and I shot a similar group at virtually the same point of impact. Then my friend took his turn, and to our amazement shot a group identical to ours, but about 3 1/2" low and 1 1/2" to the right. This was using a 10X Unertl scope with fine cross hairs and shooting from a sand bag rest.

This was the first and only time I ever experienced two shooters shooting to different points of aim with a scope, but that one experience was enough to convince me that it CAN happen.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com