Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
09/02/09 07:55 PM
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues

Bramble, I don't think you mean you can expect a rifle sighted in by someone else (single barrel rifle) to be accurate for a different person do you ? I had a bizzare experience in Africa last
October. I had taken 2 rifles with me (a .44 Marlin for short light stuff and a .470 NE for a hippo).
At the last place I visited we had 4 or 5 days for plains game and the chap there offered me the loan of his two rifles, a synthetic stainless bolt action based on a Winchester in .375 H&H and
another rifle, exactly the same in .26-06, both very nice custom pieces scoped by Swarovzski.
We got there early afternoon and decided to have a wander and see what we could. Chap told me he shotthe rifles very often and both were sighted OK. Towards the end of the afternoon we saw a decent Impala ram about 100 yds away facing me. I had a shot at him off the sticks with the .375
aiming at the middle of his chest. Bang !! Nothing "You shot way high" my PH said. "What a twat I am" I thought to myself but was puzzled as I can usually call a flier like that and I thought I had got the shot off decently. Next morning we went to the range, at 100yds the .375 for me was shooting
about 14" high at 100 yds if I recall correctly and the .25-06 about 6" high at 100 yds ???

I have asked a few people about this and haven't had an aswer yet ? Maybe they had both been out
of whack to start with.

p.s we went on to shoot 5 head of game over the next 3 or 4 days and I was lucky
to get 5 one shot kills except a sick waterbuck who was down but not out and got aother .375 from
40yds after we got near him.

any ideas, best, Mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com