9.3x57
(.450 member)
09/02/09 09:32 AM
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues

Oh, Tom! Just when I'm done with this thread...

Interestingly, the CZ site says:

"· Mauser style claw extractor
· Square bridge receiver
· Hammer forged barrel
· Single set trigger

The Mauser style claw extractor for positive loading and extraction..."

The references to Mauser extractor implies CRF, but doesn't actually say it is, I admit.

I must admit I never had any trouble getting a case out of the chamber on my guns so I can affirm their extractor was at least positive in that regard.

But "positive loading"? I think it is correct to say that most reading the advert would assume CZ extractors ACT like Mauser extractors in controlling feed as well as yanking the empty out of the barrel hole. World-reknowned gun writers have called the CZ action a CRF so they must have been bamboozled, too.

So ya know: In some calibers the extractor is modified at the factory to a pushfeed type because the actions are one-size-fits-most jacks-of-all-trades and thus the extractors cannot act properly on the case.

Which calibers? Ahh, that's the Lottery!

Fun, isn't it?

Like Tom I do not care about Dangerous Game but unlike Tom I do not like the fact that my gun was a pushfeed {I fixed it, now it is a CRF}. I think that the "positive loading" "Spiel" is sufficient implication of traditional Mauser design and appears to be an attempt to confuse and distort the truth so the unsuspecting like like me and Tom buy one thinking that it is a CRF action. At least we both thought so in a past post dealing with it and I bet others thought so, too.

Tom's gun is a good one.

Like I said, don't avoid CZ. Just know what you might be getting yourself into.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com