9.3x57
(.450 member)
09/02/09 02:00 AM
Re: CZ Safari Classic 550 Quality Issues

Quote:

I am also amazed at the funny recoil lug that they used?

I must be getting older...

I forgot to add; the 9.3x62 barrel came with a deep dovetail cut into the CHAMBER and in it, dangling, barely on and easily removed WITH THE FINGERS was a second recoil lug*.

It flopped about like a dewclaw on a hound's leg.

Expectations of results in gun buying should not be akin to expectations associated with buying Lotto tickets. The win is merely what you paid for in the case of the gun, and in the case of Lotto something significantly more. Granted, the odds seem similar in both circumstances.

My gun represents both poor initial setup {6.5x55 issues, stocking, feeding, action roughness/disfunction} AND further screwups associated with the rebarreling; wrong mag box & follower and that weird recoil shoulder abortion. And, the promised "reworked extractor" never materialized, even after followup calls. And I haven't posted a pic of the up-close of my bolt head machining.

If I sound critical, it is because I am critical.

I would not doubt for one second that the top-end guns are worse put together than the bottom end guns. No insults intended and none earned on this Forum, but seriously, in my gun-selling days I found rich guys to be alot easier to dupe than auto workers. How many ultra-heavies get shot more than 20 times? The ones that are probably are worked over so hard by the buyer and nothing is mentioned due to sheer embarassment of the buyer. Regardless of the motivation, they ARE worked over by those that shoot them. I'm guessing there...

Heck, even the 9.3x62 American written up in the article by Gash in Rifle a few years ago came from the factory with...AN EIGHT POUND TRIGGER!

Obviously somebody in the CZ plant mixed up the Skorpion submachinegun specs with the 550 moose gun specs when they assembled Steve's rifle.

A reliable .425?

In the final analysis, in my opinion, I strongly recommend ANY buyer of a CZ to think hard before doing so. I'm not telling you NOT to, but... Honestly, if you do not know how to use a Dremel, files, emery paper, chisel, bedding compound and have difficulty following UPS shipping directions OR unless you have easy liquidity in your skyrocketing stock portfolio, buy something else. Regardless, give yourself lots of time to MAKE sure the gun works before buying a special rifle for an expensive hunt.

Can you make a great rifle out of a cob? Absolutely. I generally like the design of the gun actions and like the idea about using one for a custom gun, but my opinionated recommendations remain. Be careful. Don't buy one of these guns and have your heart set on zeroing it in and heading for Africa in a week.

* NB: What in the world is a second recoil shoulder even doing on a 9.3x62...??

Contact Us NitroExpress.com