luv2safari
(.400 member)
28/03/04 02:22 AM
Re: .404 Jeffrey available from Winchester

Rusty,

I'm happy that you got one that worked peoperly. My safari partner and I bought three Safari Classics that didn't...in 416 Rem and 375. They wouldn't feed properly. All three had wood pressing the right side of the barrel at the front of the forearm, and one had a missaligned barrel. We bought the guns sight unseen...ordered in to our local FFL buddy.

My 375 was sent back to Winchester, and they sent it back "fixed". It came back still not feeding properly, and with the same caddywampous stock; they just sanded the barrel channel a tad. It looked awful! A 416 jammed every time when cycled from a full magazine.

In talking with other buyers of the Safari Classics, I found out that we were not unique in our experiences...that what we experienced was quite common.

May I ask how recently you bought your SC Win? They may have recently cleaned up their act; I hope so, as I have always been a Winchester fan.

I might add that my SS Safari in 375 functioned perfectly; I spent hours on the trigger and had a very nice 2 1/2 pound and crisp result. I sold the gun to a client who has NO idea how good the gun realy is. He needed it for his first African Safari...took a silver medal eland with it and won't sell it back to me...the SOB! For some reason, the SS Safaris seemed to not exhibit the same problems as the SC series...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com