Ripp
(.577 member)
24/01/09 12:53 AM
Re: Ruger .416 shorty....

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp,
I think the surprise was that Remington brought the first American 416 rifle to the commercial market. Ruger had been implicated in 416's for awhile as had Winchester ... Ruger had looked at and chambered 416Taylors as per the articles written by Ken Waters. Allegedly the inability to get an ammunition manufacturer to follow stopped Ruger with the Taylor. Winchester had also looked at the 416Taylor and Ken Howell's creation ... the 416Howell. George Hoffman's 416Hoffman must have caught Remington's attention on the quiet. That they were the first was the biggest surprise I suppose.

The 416Ruger rifle I think will be quite popular as it's a great package as a whole ... dual crossbolts, open sights and semi-traditional looks, 416Rigby equivalent speeds, lighter and trimmer than a CZ ... neat idea.
Cheers...
Con

Agree--it did take the industry by surprise with Remington introducing the .416..as for myself, really glad they did..like that one quite a bit..but like several others as well...375, 458, Ultra-mags, 204, 220 swift, 257 Weatherby,..etc.....

As for the .416, really do feel it will be a winner early on..ready an article by another magazine where the author restocked it as he was not happy with the "sticky" feel of the current Hogue factory one..think I would probably do the same thing along with changing out the safety --too small and unhandy in my opinion...but overall, think it will be a very handy close range weapon..

Take care

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com