Con
(.333 member)
23/01/09 03:37 PM
Re: Ruger .416 shorty....

Quote:

As to the Rigby, if memory serves me correctly, Ruger started offering the Rigby after Remington come out with their own round...soon after you had Ruger offering the Rigby and Weatherby with their own 416 which come out shortly after the Remington as well...
Ripp

Ripp,
I think the surprise was that Remington brought the first American 416 rifle to the commercial market. Ruger had been implicated in 416's for awhile as had Winchester ... Ruger had looked at and chambered 416Taylors as per the articles written by Ken Waters. Allegedly the inability to get an ammunition manufacturer to follow stopped Ruger with the Taylor. Winchester had also looked at the 416Taylor and Ken Howell's creation ... the 416Howell. George Hoffman's 416Hoffman must have caught Remington's attention on the quiet. That they were the first was the biggest surprise I suppose.

The 416Ruger rifle I think will be quite popular as it's a great package as a whole ... dual crossbolts, open sights and semi-traditional looks, 416Rigby equivalent speeds, lighter and trimmer than a CZ ... neat idea.
Cheers...
Con

Contact Us NitroExpress.com