458ONLY
(.224 member)
23/01/09 02:34 PM
Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads

Quote:

: Bigger/heavier has always been better.
: Overall cartidge length numbers are pretty much imaterial to someone who is an ackomplished handloader. That length is good only for one rifle, anyway, the one that load was developed in. Rifles have different throat lengths and even throat angles, different leade lengths, and some have a freebore condition, allowing even longer overall lengths and therefore all require different load data to develop identical pressure. Mine were all cut with my own reamers - someones else's data is merely data I can reduce a safe amount, to develop my own data from. Published data is a starting point only for the devlopment of one's own data.

Daryl;

Your last paragraph should be published in every handloading manual!

I write on these things and essentially that's what I have to say. One thing I know from experience, after a half-century of hunting with a variety of rifles from .223 to .458, is that big-bore rifles work best FOR ME! And, hardcast heavy bullets in .458" (yes, Mr. Bramble, FROM A 45-70 as well as a .458 Win Mag)will flatten anything on this continent! And, from what I read... in Africa to boot! If you want, you can read more at www.bigbores.ca

Contact Us NitroExpress.com